Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Ambassador J. Wm. Middendorf (SecNav 1975-77) of 5 Oct a.d. 2005


Wednesday, 5 October a.d. 2005

The Honorable J. William Middendorf
Ambassador
565 West Main Road
Little Compton, Rhode Island 02837

Dear Ambassador Middendorf:

I am writing to you because you were the Secretary of the Navy in anno domini 1975, (when I was an Ensign)
and when as a Bicentennial Celebration recognition the “Rattlesnake Flag” was directed to be flown as the
Navy’s Jack Flag, and based on that precedent has been directed for use again in the Global War on Terrorism.

We have met at various conservative functions in Washington, and I called for your contact information from
Heritage Foundation where you serve on the Board. I was given your address as above. George Dunlop,
husband of Vice President Becky Norton Dunlop, and I served on the Mount Vernon Board of Visitors.

In my Google research on you, I see you serve in some capacities that are most pertinent to this proposal, so I
come to you based on your service as Chairman, Secretary of Navy's Advisory Committee on
Naval History; Trustee, Naval Historical Foundation; and Trustee, Navy Museum.

I am sending by express mail several letters that convey my discoveries as an historian that suggest that the
more appropriate flag to fly would be the true First Navy Flag, the Washington Cruisers Flag, also called the
“Pine Tree Flag”, or more appropriately described as the Evergreen Tree of Liberty Flag, with its motto
“Appeal To Heaven”. I pray, or I appeal that you carefully consider the facts and the significance of this idea.

I understand that many times as a leader we sign documents that later we discover contain errors, or in light of
future events, or further research or scholarship, warrant a change from what we once authorized.

I will not further discuss the question in this cover letter, but I would appreciate your review of my historical
research on the true First Navy Flag, so that you would be willing to recommend this important change. Would
you do the kindness to phone call me so we may discuss the merits of this proposal as I seek your concurrence?

For America’s future (building up on our past),

James Renwick Manship, Sr., Chairman

P. S. Washington planned and executed the Trenton Raid in one week -- from 18 to 25 December a.d. 1776.
Thus, it is reasonable to consider coordinating action to encourage Secretary of the Navy England make a
positive decision for this “Revolutionary” change in time for the 13 October Navy birthday.

No comments: